Monday, October 24, 2011

DIY Makeup Magnet Board

Happy Monday!  I've had several requests for a tutorial on this, but I made mine before I had my blog (so I didn't take pictures of every step) but I will explain how to do it.  This is probably my favorite DIY project that I've done, because I use my makeup board daily.


 
What you'll need:
- Empty frame (use an old picture frame or you can buy empty ones at Hobby Lobby)
- Fabric of any color/print measured to cover the open area of the frame
- Sheet metal
- Hot glue or super glue
- Magnets (I used small and large round magnets from Lowes)
- Spray adhesive
- Makeup

Measure your frame's opening (where the glass is.. or just measure the glass you took out).  This measurement defines the amount of fabric you'll need, and what size sheet metal you will need to purchase.

Put it all together:
1. Spray the spray adhesive all over the piece of sheet metal, then place your fabric directly on top of it.  Be sure to smooth out all the wrinkles and bubbles before the adhesive dries.

2. After your fabric is secured to your metal, you can now place your metal into the frame (just like you would put a picture in a frame).  You can either run a line of hot glue/super glue/gorilla glue along all of the edges before you place the metal in, or do it after.. whatever you prefer.  The glue will hold the metal into place. If your frame has old prongs on it, then you may not need glue at all.. you can just bend the prongs to hold the metal in place.

3. After your glue has had enough time to try, you can flip your frame over and admire your work.  I shook mine back and forth a little bit to ensure I had a secure connection. The metal is a little bit heavy and can wobble a little bit.

4. Now gather all of your makeup, magnets and glue!  For large eyeshadow palettes, I used four large round magnets (1 in each corner) and for everything else I used one or two small round magnets.

5. After all your makeup is magnetized.. add them to your board and hang it on your wall! 

I absolutely love my makeup board.  I can now see all my beautiful palettes, powders, mascaras, etc.. and they stay much cleaner!  I hope this tutorial helped.  I plan on making a few more of these in the future, so when I do, I'll take pictures of each step and revise this tutorial.

Hope you lovelies have fun with this project. :)

Lots of love.
-- Kali @ The Pink Leopard

1 comment:

  1. this is the cutest thing i have ever seen <3
    i can hopefully make one soon, this would be so handy in college :)
    please show more crative things like this, i absolutly LOVE this!

    <333333

    ReplyDelete